Sri Lanka – National Policy for Urban Agriculture after ‘Family Business Garden’ Initiatives
PowerPoint presentation by Dr. Thilak T. Ranasinghe (See next page.)
Sri Lanka National Agriculture Policy Documents
Statement – 29 (2003)
Implement a special urban agriculture promotion
program designed to ensure supply of home
consumption needs and environmental protection.
Statement – 17 (2007)
17.1 Promote home-gardening and urban agriculture
to enhance household nutrition and income
17.2 Promote women’s participation in home-gardening.
Government Programme for Promotion of Home Gardening – 2007 (Let us Cultivate to Uplift the Nation)
1. Rural and urban home-gardens
2. School gardens
3. Home-gardens of school children
4. Gardens and model farms in office premises
5. Gardens in security forces camps
6. Private home-gardens of state officials
7. Gardens in office premises of the private institutions
8. Home-gardens of public representatives
See Dr. Thilak T. Ranasinghe’s well-illustrated Powerpoint presentation describing the concept of Family Business Garden (FBG) in the field of urban agriculture and the urban-rural continuum in Sri Lanka.
Also see: Family Business Gardens: Agricultural Options in Remodeling & Modernising Tsunami Devastated Townships in Sri Lanka (.doc file)
by Dr. Thilak T. Ranasinghe, Director of Agriculture (Western) Sri Lanka