New Stories From 'Urban Agriculture Notes'
Random header image... Refresh for more!

33 year old Windmill Hill City Farm in Bristol, England, saved

windmillSee larger map image here.

Celebrations As Bristol City Farm Is Saved By Hitting £50K Target

Bristol Evening News
December 21, 2009,

A city farm in Bedminster has been saved from closure thanks to the public, who have helped raise £50,000 in just five months.

The four-and-a-half-acre farm was started on derelict land in 1976 as a result of the demands of local people, and has grown to an attraction visited by 200,000 people every year.

Windmill Hill City Farm, which currently employs 80 people, is a registered charity, so there is no charge for entry, but every donation helps to keep the farm operating as a free community facility for the enjoyment of the public.

With an annual turnover of just below £1 million, the farm generates about 70 per cent of this, leaving 30 per cent to raise through other means each year.

Last year, the farm didn’t manage to raise the 30 per cent, and had no choice but to use its reserves.

Windmill Hill City Farm gives the public the opportunity to learn about farming and to become involved in the production of their food.

Animals on the farm include a variety of goats, sheep, pigs, cattle and poultry.

It is a working farm, with community garden plots and a wildlife conservation area. Organic fruit and vegetables are grown and supplied to the farm shop and cafe.

Schools take trips to the farm for guided tours, and the farm also offers hands-on activities for people with learning difficulties, as well as opportunities for trainees and volunteers.

The farm runs educational courses in partnership with the Workers’ Educational Association, including computer and photography courses, arts and crafts, and horticulture.

There is also a 50-place nursery and an adventure playground on site, and an all-weather sport pitch.

See the complete article here.

See the Windmill Hill City Farm website here.