New Stories From 'Urban Agriculture Notes'
Random header image... Refresh for more!

BBC TV – Great British Garden Revival – 10 episodes

Nationwide, more people now have paved patios in their gardens than those who have trees. It all adds up to a crisis unparalleled in our history

BBC Two
Dec 13, 2013

Excerpts:

With five million homes in this country already at risk and uninsurable in many places, paving over our gardens will only make things worse. Only 5 per cent of rainwater in paved, urban spaces is soaked up – the other 95 per cent of the water is run-off, which overwhelms our drains and gutters.

This rapid and sustained loss of our private green spaces is also having a dramatic effect on our wildlife – particularly on garden birds and butterflies. Starling numbers have fallen from an average of 15 per garden in 1979 to just three in 2012, Mistle thrush has declined by an alarming 28 per cent and House sparrow numbers have fallen by an even more alarming two-thirds in the same period. While there are many reasons for their dramatic decline, paving over their habitats is hardly helping.

[Read more →]

December 14, 2013   Comments Off on BBC TV – Great British Garden Revival – 10 episodes

Orlando, Florida allows veggies in front yards in new garden ordinance

video platformvideo managementvideo solutionsvideo player

The revamped landscaping code says no more than 60 percent of a home’s front yard can be covered with grass. It’s part of an effort to reduce the strain on the area’s dwindling water resources.

By Mark Schlueb
Orlando Sentinel
November 25, 2013

Excerpt:

After a fight that made green-thumbed gardeners see red, Orlando is changing its rules to allow residents to plant tomatoes, carrots and other veggies in their front yards.

The new rules — which for the first time state that vegetable gardens don’t have to be banished to the back yard — are part of a bigger package of landscaping standards that will affect what you plant on your property and how you take care of it.

[Read more →]

December 14, 2013   Comments Off on Orlando, Florida allows veggies in front yards in new garden ordinance