New Stories From 'Urban Agriculture Notes'
Random header image... Refresh for more!

Mushrooms from community garden sicken Los Angeles schoolchildren

Tweet about this on TwitterShare on Facebook0Share on StumbleUpon0Email this to someoneShare on Google+0


A toxic mushroom species, amanita pantherina, is believed to be the cause of multiple illnesses at a Silver Lake elementary school. (KABC)

According to a phone message sent to parents, the students were taking part in an afternoon “garden instruction” lesson at the garden, which sits on the edge of the campus.

By Veronica Rocha and Howard Blume
Los Angeles Times
Sept. 23, 2016

Excerpt:

A parent told KABC-TV that his 10-year-old son had to be hospitalized after someone working in the garden gave him and other fifth-graders mushrooms. After eating the mushrooms, students started throwing up.

Doctors have performed tests on the boy to determine what made him sick, the TV news station reported. District officials said they had no information about the types of vegetables in the garden.

The district confirmed, however, that students are thought to have eaten mushrooms, even though official statements refer only to students sampling “vegetables.”

Apparently, the mushrooms were growing in the garden and no harm had been intended, said district spokeswoman Shannon Haber.

Read the complete article here.